Disatisfaction

Monday, April 10, 2006 10:59 pm By BigLig

Lately I've been feeling sort of unfulfilled. I'm not entirely sure why this is, it may be because work, while still offering challenges, is offering the same old challenges. GTD is helping a bit, but the joy isn't as much as it once was.

But perhaps part of this would be solved by more creativity, not at work, but in my own time.
Music, writing, photographs. Something like that. I don't know if I have any ability, but I think I want to find out.

Now, this is brought to a head because I'm considering buying myself a Mac Mini for my birthday this month. Part of this is to have always on e-mail in my bedroom (which needs a silent computer). Part is to have a music/video player there - which FrontRow would be ideal for. Part is to learn and play with OSX.

And part of this would be to have a machine that wasn't for work, but which was mine, to work on creatively. Garageband, TextEdit, iPhoto.

The cost worrys me though. Buying one off the shelf with 512Mb RAM is daft, so the cheapest is £540. Or even go up to £680 for a nice Core Duo model.

Part of me is thinking I should be able to use the tools I have now for creativity, that buying a new toy is a waste. It won't make me be creative on it's own. I have to do that myself.

0 comments: