Week Eleven, Twenty Eleven

Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:38 pm By BigLig

This week ended with frustration and delight, so at least it wasn’t boring.

The frustration: my new watch arrived early (yay!) but on Friday, when I wasn’t at work, so it’s been locked away and I can’t get it until Monday morning. (Boo!)

The delight: checked my weight this morning and since I started my diet on Feb 3rd I have lost a stone. As I tweeted, I don’t know how much that is - never understood imperial measures - but it sounds blinkin’ impressive. A stone sounds like something serious. Even better, my target is to lose 5 stone, so I’m 20% of the way already.

I’m on Tim Ferriss’ “Slow-Carb” Diet, and it’s working well. It’s a bit dull but do-able. Sundays are the worst: you have to have one “binge day” a week where, in the words of Mr. F, you “eat total crap” all day. It stops your body thinking that you’re never going to eat again (at which point it starts hoarding fat for the long term) and helps psychologically, as every time you think “I’d kill for a Cadbury’s Creme Egg” you know that you can have one on Sunday. Sounds good right? Well, not so much. When you eat crap every day, you get used to it. When you eat crap once a week, your body does not enjoy it one little bit.

Today I ate: 2 eggs (my usual breakfast), 2 slices hot buttered toast, pineapple juice, cinnamon skinny latte with an extra shot, raspberry and almond slice, raspberry and white chocolate muffin, Cadbury’s Caramel bar, 2 slices cheese on toast, can of expensively imported American root beer, quarter of liquorice creams, two helpings of Toad in the Hole with onion gravy, can of Fanta Twist (less unpleasant than the can makes out) and a knickerbocker glory. Achieved the aim of making myself feel a little sick all right. Maybe that’s a psychological trick in itself… Certainly tomorrow I will go back to my usual boring combinations of salmon, beef, turkey, water, beans and veggies with great relish.

OK, what else this week? Spent a pleasant Saturday evening installing a new monitor in my home computer set-up, then reorganising the icons on my iPhone. Yes, I did give up drink as part of my diet. How is that relevant, exactly?

Lastly, my geek cred went up several hundred points this week when I attended a high-level meeting at Tesla’s European headquarters. Sure, it was about toilets, but it still counts. Slightly worried at how non-plussed people were to see me in a suit for those high-powered meetings. Wait until I’m thin enough to start wearing loud waistcoats again.

Next week I am on contractually obligated vacation and who knows what jinks I may get up to. High ones, I hope.

0 comments: