Bloody Microsoft

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:14 am By BigLig

Arrgghhhh, leaving aside how ridiculously involved it is to install a dot Net framework - I mean when an app needs the framework I shouldn't have to go to a web page and figure out which of the half dozen versions I need and download it and find what I downloaded and run it and all that crap. Do it as a background process for flips sake.

Leaving all that aside, I'm installing a SERVER, guys. Over REMOTE CONTROL because it's not in the same office as me. This is the sort of thing admins do. We get responsibility for more than one site and have to do things over a WAN.

SO DON'T PUT FANCY GRAPHICS ON THE INSTALLER!

Sitting there, waiting while you fade out the web page to put up an advert for Silverlight... I spent the 20 minutes this took to do over an RDP over WAN link uninstalling Silverlight from my notebook because I had nothing better to do. Is that what you wanted?

In fact, MS do this everywhere. Do you know what sort of person installs stuff like Exchange? SYSADMINS! Have you met any of us? We aren't going to think your product is better because the installer is pretty!

Why not spend the time making a folder of pre-canned powershell scripts? Those would help, not hinder me.javascript:void(0)

Lastly, ARRRRGGGHHHH.

0 comments: