Quick note on Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine

Friday, June 22, 2007 9:31 am By BigLig

I couldn't stay away from Linux very long, and since I happenned to need a second XP running in a virtual machine on my laptop for a project, I thought I might as well make a virtual Feisty as well.

Four things don't work:

It's supposed to only support 16bit color, not the 24 bit colr that is the default, although by installing in safe graphics mode I seem not to have had an issue with this.

The network card doesn't seem to get a DHCP address until I issue a /etc/init.d/networking restart... or it seems that turning it on with the icon up near the clock works.

The mouse doesn't work without a i8042.noloop parameter added to the kernel. (do it in install or by editing the Grub line for your kernel. Good idea to add it to the default options for future upgrades too)

Sound doesn't work until you add a line saying snd-sb16 to /etc/modules

With that all out of the way, it works very nicely.

0 comments: