Now that the system is installed, a day of tweaking. I won't go into boring detail, just some hints for myself the next time I have to do this. On the whole, thanks to apt-get, most things were easier than the internet led me to expect.
- The system does not seem to automatically switch to the active ethernet card, so do it manually.
- Firefox needs manual updating to 1.5, but this is easy and well documented.
- The 855resolution utility lets you fool X into using the 1400x1050 screen properly.
- Rhythymbox doesn't have mp3 support out of the box, so install gstreamer0.8-plugins.
- Enabling suspend is a simple matter of editing /etc/default/acpi-support and moving the commenting out from suspend to hibernate.